Resolution 340 (1973) of 25 October 1973
The Security Council,
Recalling its resolutions 338 (1973) of 22 October and 339 (1973) of 23 October 1973.
Noting with regret the reported repeated violations of the cease-fire in non-compliance with resolutions 338
(1973) and 339 (1973),
Noting with concern from the Secretary-General's report that the United Nations military observers have not yet
been enabled to place themselves on both sides of the cease-fire line,
1. Demands that immediate and complete ceasefire be observed and that the parties return to the positions
occupied by them at 1650 hours GMT on 22 October 1973;
2. Requests the Secretary-General, as an immediate step, to increase the number of United Nations military
observers on both sides;
3. Decides to set up immediately, under its authority, a United Nations Emergency Force to be composed of
personnel drawn from States Members of the United Nations except the permanent members of the Security Council,
and requests the Secretary-General to report within 24 hours on the steps taken to this effect;
4. Requests the Secretary-General to report to the Council on an urgent and continuing basis on the state of
implementation of the present resolution, as well as resolutions 338 (1973) and 339 (1973);
5. Requests all Member States to extend their full co-operation to the United Nations in the implementation of
the present resolution, as well as resolutions 338 (1973) and 339 (1973).
Adopted at the 1750th meeting by 14 votes to none.
View the full document
Download (pdf, 80 KB)