Resolution 583 (1986) of 18 April 1986
The Security Council,
Recalling its resolutions 425(1978). 426(1978), 501 (1982), 508 (1982), 509 (1982) and 520 (1982), as well as
all its resolutions on the situation in Lebanon,
Having studied the report of the Secretary-General on the United Nations Interim Force in Lebanon of 9 April
1986, and taking note of the observations expressed therein.
Taking note of the letter of the Permanent Representative of Lebanon addressed to the Secretary-General of 1
Responding to the request of the Government of Lebanon,
1. Decides to extend the present mandate of the United Nations Interim Force in Lebanon for a further interim
period of three months, that is, until 19 July 1986;
2. Reiterates its strong support for the territorial integrity, sovereignty and independence of Lebanon within
its internationally recognized boundaries;
3. Re-emphasizes the terms of reference and general guidelines of the Force as stated in the report of the
Secretary-General of 19 March 1978, approved by resolution 426 (1978), and calls upon all parties concerned to
cooperate fully with the Force for the full implementation of its mandate;
4. Reiterates that the Force should fully implement its mandate as defined in resolutions 425 (1978), 426 (1978)
and all other relevant resolutions;
5. Requests the Secretary-General to continue consultations with the Government of Lebanon and other parties
directly concerned on the implementation of the present resolution and to report to the Council thereon by 19 June 1986.
Adopted unanimously at the 2681st meeting.