Resolution 587 (1986) of 23 September 1986
The Security Council,
Recalling its resolutions 425 (1978) and 426 (1978), as well as its resolutions 511(1982), 519 (1982) and
523 (1982) and all the resolutions relating to the United Nations Interim Force in Lebanon,
Recalling the mandate entrusted to the Force by resolution 425 (1978) and the guidelines of the Force set forth
in the report of the Secretary-General dated 19 March 1978 and approved in resolution 426 (1978),
Further recalling its resolutions 508 (1982), 509 (1982) and 520 (1982), as well as all its other resolutions
relating to the situation in Lebanon,
Solemnly reaffirming that it firmly supports the unity, territorial integrity, sovereignty and independence of
Lebanon within its internationally recognized boundaries.
Deeply grieved over the tragic loss of human life and indignant at the harassment and attacks to which the
soldiers of the Force are being subjected.
Recalling in this connection the statement made on 5 September 1986 by the President of the Council on its behalf,
Expressing its concern at the new obstacles to the free dom of movement of the Force and at the threats to its
Noting with regret that the Force, whose mandate has been renewed for the twenty-first time, has so far been
prevented from fulfilling the task entrusted to it.
Recalling its resolutions 444 (1979), 450(1979) 459(1979). 474 (1980), 483 (1980) and 488(1981), in which it
expressed its determination, in the event of continuing obstruction of the mandate of the Force, to exam me
practical ways and means to secure full and unconditional implementation of resolution 425 (1978),
Emphasizing its conviction that this deterioration of the situation constitutes a challenge to its authority and
1. Condemns in the strongest terms the attacks committed against the United Nations Interim Force in Lebanon;
2. Expresses indignation at the support which such criminal actions may receive;
3. Pays homage to the courage, spirit of discipline and composure of the soldiers of the Force;
4. Takes note of the report of the Secretary-General prepared after the recent mission by his representative in
the region, particularly the paragraphs relating to the security of the Force and the withdrawal of Israeli
military forces from southern Lebanon;
5. Takes note of the preliminary security measures decided on by the Secretary-General and requests him to lake
any further measures needed to enhance the security of the men of the force in their peace mission;
6. Urges all the parties concerned to co-operate unreservedly with the Force in the fulfilment of its mandate.
7. Again calls for an end in southern Lebanon to any military presence which is not accepted by the Lebanese
8. Requests the Secretary-General to make the necessary arrangements for a deployment of the Force to the southern
border of Lebanon, and solemnly calls on all the parties concerned to co-operate in the achievement of that
9. Requests the Secretary-General to report to at within twenty-one days on the application of this resolution.
Adopted at the 2708th meeting by 14 votes to none, with 1 abstention (United States of America).