S/RES/902 (1994) 11 March 1994
RESOLUTION 902 (1994)
Adopted by the Security Council at its 3347th meeting
on 11 March 1994
The Security Council.
Recalling its relevant resolutions on Cyprus,
Welcoming the report of the Secretary-General of 4 March 1994 1/ on his mission of good offices in Cyprus submitted pursuant to resolution 889 (1993) of 15 December 1993,
Recalling its support for the Secretary-General's decision to concentrate at this stage on achieving an agreement on the confidence-building measures relating to Varosha and Nicosia International Airport, a well as the other measures outlined in annex I to his report of 1 July 1993, 2/
Reaffirming that the confidence-building measures, while not an end in themselves, nor a substitute for the wider political process, would offer significant benefits to both communities and would facilitate the political process towards an overall settlement,
1. Reiterates that the maintenance of the status quo is unacceptable;
2. Welcomes the acceptance in principle by both parties of the confidence-building measures relating, in particular, to Varosha and Nicosia International Airport;
3. Welcomes the fact that intensive discussions have made it possible for the Secretary-General's representatives to bring forward ideas that should
facilitate the discussions aimed at reaching agreement on the key issues for implementing the confidence-building measures, and stresses the need to conclude such an agreement without delay;
4. Requests the Secretary-General to submit a further report by the end of March 1994 on the outcome of his efforts to finalize that agreement;
5. Decides to review the matter further, pursuant to paragraph 13 of resolution 889 (1993), on the basis of that report.